Friday 3 August 2012

How it all began.... (Over half way!)

So I've just realised I have more than passed the half-way mark of this massive year-long project and I have not even recognised it on my little blog at all! Tsk tsk, very remiss of me! I seriously cannot believe I have posted a photo every day all year without missing a single day!?! Crazy-town.

Golf clap for me please, if you will!

Handy Mark installing the new dishwasher - what a champ! The only hiccup was when it
tipped forward when getting slid in, he grabbed the top and sliced his fingers on some metal.
War wounds for his efforts!! Funny boy :)

Realising this also made me reflect on what got me started on this whole project to begin with. Yes, my dear Amber inspired me to take part when I saw her gorgeous blog! Yes, Gregarious Peach started it all with heading up this awesome project. But really... it would not have happened with out my biggest cheerleader of all - my hubby Mark!

It all began when years ago I discovered a pile of old journals in a box somewhere (from probably late teens to early 20's). I cringed and wanted to burn the lot but Mark leapt on them with glee and devoured them all with relish - with my permission of course! Yes, much 'aww'-ing and 'oh really!?'s followed! After reading them, he begged me to start journelling again but I just wasn't interested. He bought me gorgeous journals as gifts to inspire me but I couldn't get any enthusiasm to start back in. 'Sorry, honey, I'm just too happy these days to want to keep a diary!' I told him consolingly (after all, aren't journals best for pouring out all your woes and romantic anguishes etc?! Not to mention the poor sappy poetry!)

Then he tried to convince me to write a book! Um.... sorry, honey! What on earth would I write about?

Then the signs of the times caught up and he confidently told me I should start blogging. Me??!! Blog?! What on earth would I blog about? Why on earth would anyone read it, especially with the zillions of other cool ones floating about?! He cajoled, he begged but sorry, no interest, I just didn't think it was for me, was intimidated by the idea of such exposure and commitment, let alone thought I had anything remotely interesting to write to entice readers!

Truth be told, I was touched by his devotion, enthusiasm and belief in me, but I honestly thought it was not something I would ever do.

But then Documenting Delight came about. When I saw my friend Amber blogging, it suddenly seemed a little more real and like something I could be part of - it had a time frame, a purpose, a goal and taking a photo a day seemed easier than having to write something every day!

So I rashly (like seriously, spur of the moment after reading Amber's blog one morning over breakfast) set up the blog in about 20 minutes and nervously did a couple day's posts before sending the link to my sweet husband. I was so terrified to tell him (or anyone!) for some reason!! I seriously felt so crazy vulnerable.

Well, that night in his study he got the link and clicked through, moments later bursting into the lounge with a huge smile and cheer. So cute! He was so happy and supportive - how blessed I am to have such a great guy cheering me on!

So really, I think it was his enthusiasm and belief in me all along that really gave me the guts to start this little blog. Now, bless his heart, he is telling me I should be writing a newspaper column too (umm?!!) and I know he thinks the $100,000 book deal is landing on my doorstep any day (err!!!!). Ok, ok, like a proud parent he may err on being a little too proud and believing, but it sure is nice to have at least one faithful daily blog reader - thanks, babe! :)

And now here we are. Almost two-thirds of the way through. What I will do after this year is complete... I don't know! I doubt I can keep up this daily commitment, but I would feel sad to stop completely... and of course I do have a rather big new project coming up too (a baby!!). So we shall see. Right now I'm just going to focus on completing this year, and being grateful for my loving husband for his slightly-biased but always-encouraging support!


















13 comments:

  1. Yay for the lovely men in our lives, mine is my biggest cheerleader too and actually set up my blog for me and told me that I had no excuses left! I think Mark is on to something though, I always enjoy your blog posts, they are like having a chat with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww that's soooo cute about your hubby setting up ur blog! what a champ! bet mark wishes he thougth of that now, lol! Your hubby is a clever guy, with talents like yours they simply must be shared! wow thanks for your kind words, makes me so happy to think my posts make you feel like that *beam*!

      Delete
  2. Congrats for making it so far without missing a day! Such awesome work. I think the guys in our lives appreciate the value we are adding to the documentation of the lives of their families. Mark looks pretty rad :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true Tricia - i like that - documenters of our family lives and history :)

      Delete
  3. Sigh...aren't husbands wonderful! Mine proudly announced to his work colleagues that he looked forward to reading my blog every day! GASP! So much for keeping my little blog to myself and other documenters of delight. Enough about me, I totally agree with Mark! Even though there are millions of blogs out there, yours is one of the ones I read everytime you post, and it's because of your lovely writing which always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that is so gorgeous, hubby bragging on your blog to his colleages, how sweet is that!! aw hon, you are so sweet, thanks so much for reading, that seriously mean so much! xx

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that you did dive in and put your beautiful words and perspective out there. I think many of the husbands in the DD groups deserve a lot of credit. Like Mark, Lach is my biggest supporter. I'm not sure it would hold the significance it does in my life if he didn't cheer me along.
    I hope you do keep up your blog once the year is over, especially your posts on parenting. I have learnt so much from you in this area.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true, i think all the hubbies should get a shout out post, you are right, they are so supportive! really helps get through the 'blah' patches huh :) as for next year..... well... i will if you will!?!!

      Delete
  5. Totally agree Amber! I always enjoy your parenting posts too Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, love the torch on Mark's head lol!!

    So glad you started this blog Kate. I too am a faithful reader. I get to see what Lily and Eli are doing daily, almost like being there!!
    Its a very honest and open read and I take my hat off to you for being brave and putting yourself "out there". Well done.
    I am sure those "hard days" are an encouragement to all Mums who are feeling the same feelings as you.You def have a gift for writing (and the photos) so I too don't want to see it stop here, please keep on keeping on, don't stop.
    Love you xx Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome story. You are so inspiring Kate and I am soooooo happy that you decided to blog and I got to know your family better. They are really worth sharing :) xx


    And P.S. Mark is a great husband, he sounds like he really values you and understands your passions and supports them - a definate keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks andi, i love that you take the time to read it and i get to follow along in your amazing adventures too :) And yeah Mark is the best and so supportive its lovely - and after 3 kids you can bet I aint letting him go anywhere!!!! ;)

      Delete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx