Wednesday 7 November 2012

Birth Centre Visiting!

Today I had my first appointment at the new Birth Centre where I plan to meet this little one growing rapidly inside me - I'm over 28 weeks now! I have been spoilt with my wonderful midwife Anne-Marie doing all my previous visits at home but I thought it was time to get along and actually check the place out. The Canberra Hospital has recently built a new maternity wing and along with it a new Birth Centre and I was excited to view the facilities where we will hopefully make it in time to greet this little one in comfort! The new place is so spacious, modern and a little larger than the old Birth Centre that I went through for my previous two pregnancies. No matter the decor, I just love the place and all it stands for - the incredible midwives, the continuity of care, the support for natural birth and the respect for the birthing mother.

Mark and Lily came along too so they could also get familiar with the place where our family will transform from four to five! It was an exciting adventure for my baby-obsessed little lady...


Added bonus of seeing a crane knocking down the old Maternity building! 

Future Midwife?! Lily helped listen to the baby's heartbeat and pronounced it 'growing healthy and strong'!

The beautiful big bath where I *hope* to give birth or at least spend some time!
Lily was very impressed and wanted to jump right into the 'spa'!!

Bed not made up but just love the headboard and the cosy little bassinette
awaiting our newcomer!

A beautiful view for a beautiful event...even on a super grey and rainy day!

10 comments:

  1. EEEEK! It looks WONDERFUL! So different to the old Birth centre hey?!!!! Um, the bath and all that delicious space. What a wonderful environment to give birth (.....and birth photography wise - AMAZING amount of space to move around in and not bother others - again SO different to the old BC!)
    I love the shot of Lily listening to the baby's heartbeat. Wow, she would have loved the whole experience. How lovely that she joined you today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know amber - the grey day and my quick and dodgy photos really do not do it justice - its a gorgeous, fresh and lovely space - and HUGE! the birthing suites are like luxury hotel rooms, i joked to my midwife about could we just do a hotel stay!? really spacious and lovely and fresh. yes lots of room for photographers :) The bath is AMAZING - just massive and room on all three sides for midwife/partner to access you! plus double headed shower etc... so well thought out!

      Delete
  2. So exciting, I loved seeing these pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That place looks amazing!! How exciting! And so nice to have your big kids involved in it all. Fun times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes vanessa its so gorgeous im so excited to go there! yeah its been so different to have lily old enough to be so much more aware of the big event coming - makes it even more exciting to share it w her!

      Delete
  4. Wow, it looks lovely. That little crib is so sweet, so much better than the standard clear plastic jobs you get on the hospital labour wards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know - i love that the cribs and beds are so homey, makes it feel so comfortable

      Delete
  5. I am so happy you can look forward to meeting your new one somewhere so nice. It must really help you imagine a wonderful birth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohhhhh, loooooooove! What a beautiful and calming space!
    Can't wait to 'meet' the little babe that will be born there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, me too!! :) yes its just so fresh and welcoming, im so excited to birth there!

      Delete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx