Saturday 21 January 2012

Wedding Girl

A dear friend is getting married next month and not only do I have the honour of being a bridesmaid but I am loaning her the veil from my own wedding seven years ago! Yesterday I dug it out of storage (e.g. off the hanger in my closet) to take over to her and of course my little lady spotted it on the bed and was in complete awe. Ever since I let her watch five minutes of Princess Kate walking down the aisle to William, she has been a girl entranced with weddings! She begged to be able to touch it and when I said she could try it on she was beside herself.... 'I look like a wedding girl!!!' she exclaimed while looking in the mirror.

I am not really the kind of mother who constantly envisions her daughter's wedding day, nor wants to march her towards that wedding day as if it was her sole purpose in life, the answer to all her problems or even a guarantee. And yet... ohhhh....seeing her in that gauzy ivory confection, I admit my breath caught in my throat at the sweetness and the very concept that one day she could be borrowing my veil for real! *stunned mother* I was in shock as I honestly don't think I'd ever really thought about it before! Am pretty sure a tear welled up in her doting father's eye when he came into the room and saw his little girl..



Oh, baby girl, I pray that if you do choose marriage one day, you will choose a man even half as loving, faithful and devoted as the man who married me.

8 comments:

  1. I love those moments when you look down and go "you're a real person and some day you will be an adult and really experience life". Blows my mind! I love this post for so many reasons! Sounds like her dad is a great example of men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh that's it! you are right - you kind of forget this baby will one day be an adult!!! it is amazing huh.. thanks for your kind comment. and yep my hubby is a wonderful guy and a super great Dad, so thankful! xx

      Delete
  2. beautiful!! i saved my birdcage veil from my recent wedding for my little one, just in case :) gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at her precious face! She is SO delighted you let her wear that veil! Sounds like it was an a-ha moment for you though, love that you recorded it here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she was sooooo thrilled (disbelief really!) and yes an aha moment for me, for sure.... could these babies really grow into adults one day?!? crazy stuff huh :) its amazing how this challenge is getting us to record all these little moments that might otherwise be forgotten... loving it!

      Delete
  4. ha! love the pic and enjoying your blog, too. i think you have found your calling! xxx

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx