Tuesday 24 January 2012

Pegs and Putting Away

A quiet happy morning at the clothesline - a fairly common place to be around here, what with a young family and modern cloth nappies to boot! I actually love being out there, I find it really relaxing to be in the sunshine while the kids play and we all chat. 

Little Eli toddled around the backyard today, then he came over, grabbed a couple of pegs from the basket and held them out to me... 'Hup, Hup' (Help, Help). My darling little boy was wanting to help me peg up the washing by passing me the pegs - bless his little heart!..... How to break it to him that in fact I was taking the washing down, not pegging it up?? Of course, I couldn't! I mean, just look at that face!!



Love this little man and his charming ways. He cheerfully handed me a big handful of pegs one by one until I could hold no more, then I put them on the ground and he methodically put them all back in the peg basket.




Eighteen months seems to be the magic age when all our work on 'putting things away' seems to start taking effect - hooray! I can now ask him to pack up his toys after play and he mostly does it cheerfully and methodically and sometimes even without being asked (wonderful!). 



Combine this with the fact that at this age they seem to quite enjoy it (taking out, putting back in, repeat ad finitum)! I should also add that this boy has always had a finely tuned sense of where things go and where they shouldn't - I try not to take it as a judgement against my housekeeping when he find a crumb on the ground and always brings it to me urgently to take care of!!!

A simple and sweet moment with my sunny little man...

PS - Contrary to appearances, this child does actually possess more clothing that just Bonds stripey PJs!!

8 comments:

  1. these are gorgeous. love the bonds stripes - my fave! great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet little face under all that hair. My kids love the peg bag too! :) great way to keep them amused for at least 15 min while I enjoy a cuppa:) my4boysandme

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do quite love those stripey bonds pj's they are so darn cute.
    And oh gosh that hair! He looks like a little cherub, or a surfer boy. Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! i often go between calling him Surfie Boy and Cherub too (and everyone else says thats what he looks like too!). I keep telling myself i am going to book him in for a hair cut but i just CANNOT bring myself to do it!

      Delete
    2. Oh no! Leave it, he looks beautiful! And it suits him so well. :)

      Delete
  4. There is a time when you can't get around in your Bonds stripy pjs all day, don't deny poor Eli this short space in time! Plus I love seeing him in this get up!
    Love your little helper. Lovin' your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Amber - rock it while you can huh :) thanks hon!!

      Delete
  5. He really does have such beautiful curls! (I hope my girl will one day want to help with laundry! Foster the love for housecleaning!!!)

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx