Thursday 19 April 2012

how to (naturally!) get rid of paint fumes // a child was here...


Ok, I know those two subject titles couldn't seem more incongruous, but hey, such is life at times. It's weird, but it makes sense to us, haha ;)

We have been busily moving furniture back to its rightful place, after all our ceilings and walls were painted over the last couple of days. All the furniture was piled up in the middle of the lounge room and along the bare walls I stumbled across this preciously quirky scene...



Yes, a child was here...




I love these moments. Coming across the evidence of a child who has been playing, imagining, creating. Entering into Lily's little world of babies and food and ballerinas and shopkeepers and all kinds of wondrous things. It always makes me smile, and warms my mothering heart when I move around the house especially at night and discover such a little scene - evidence of a moment well-played and much-enjoyed, that perhaps I missed in a moment of busy-ness, yet the scene remains left behind for me to cherish.


By the way, I don't know what your adult eyes are seeing here, but clearly (according to Lily), it's Baby Cherise wearing her tiara (!!), whilst sipping on her 'lemon drink'. But of course!





Baby Cherise decided to make it a party. I later stumbled across this scene assembled in Lily's doorway. Baby Cherise had been joined by Elephant and Bunny, all with snacks and clearly having a glorious old time. 

Yes, the adults may have been doing boring old tasks like shifting furniture and making party food, but a child was here and she was creating her own magical party through her wild imagination. When I come across these scenes, it is a glimpse into that world, and oh, it's a beautiful place to be...

Oh, regarding more practical matters, I can't resist sharing a little handy tip! I was paranoid about all our party guests passing out from the paint fumes (oh yes, not to mention my children!!) so I did a bit of research on how to get rid of the paint fumes as quickly and naturally as possible - apart from the obvious ones like open windows and fans! The three most common tips I came across? Strange as they may seem...




Chopped onions, vinegar and burning candles!


I expected the candles, and we all know that white vinegar is a miracle worker (though I didn't realise it would soak up the fumes) but the chopped onions?!??! Weird! However, I found the tips in multiple places so I set up strange little altars like this all around the house....

Random side note: the little gatherings of items reminded me of the little food and wine spirit 'offerings' I used to see left on street corners when I lived in Brazil! Meeeeemories...

Anyway.... the big question... did it work?!!

Well, the painting was done all day Wednesday and Thursday and the smell was strong. I set up this trio of fume-busters on Thursday afternoon. On Friday I had two separate sets of visitors come by and when I anxiously asked them 'How bad are the paint fumes?!?! Tell me honestly!!' I got blank stares and the response 'What paint fumes?'. So yeah.... I call success! Three little miracle workers! I was so relieved. Just thought I would pass on this little tip in case it helps anyone else when painting interiors!

And with that, my friends.... I better get back to work!

xx







2 comments:

  1. Oh these are fantastic! Looks like Lily has a wonderful imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the explanation for that scene! And the little moment of childhood captured.

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx