Wednesday 16 July 2014

{Delicious} Cranberry, Pearl Cous Cous & Pumpkin Salad






Pearl Cous Cous, you say? Also known as Israeli Cous Cous, if you haven't tried it before - this stuff is super delicious! Less 'fluffy/grainy' than the classic kind, the grains (?) are bigger, rounder and smoother. It's a nice change from your standard cous, haha. I first tried a similar salad to this one at a friend's barbeque  - which is how I discovered the joy of Pearl Cous Cous. Afterwards, I couldn't remember any of the ingredients except the Cous Cous and Cranberries, so I just sort of invented this one by adding all my other favourite ingredients (I seem to add fetta, roast pumpkin and baby spinach to 90% of my meals, I think it's a compulsion!?).

So.

Friends have been asking (and asking and asking - sorry!) for this recipe, and now I am finally getting around to typing it out. I am not a 'precise' cook (a pinch of this, a dollop of that!), so this is the basic guide to what I do/use. Choose the ratios that suit your salad bowl or your tummy ;) You can easily tweak quantities and ingredients to whatever floats your boat!


Cranberry, Pearl Cous Cous & Pumpkin Salad

  • Cube (1-2cm square or so) and roast a tray of pumpkin (I usually toss it in olive oil, paprika and/or cumin first)
  • Cook the box of Pearl Cous Cous in chicken stock, according to package instructions. (You could even use Quinoa instead)
  • After the cous cous is cooked, spread it on a tray to cool and dry out. I usually drizzle a little olive oil through to help it separate.
  • Add the following ingredients to a large salad bowl...
  • Baby spinach
  • Pecans (my fave) or walnuts or pinenuts are good too.
  • Fetta - cubed or crumbled
  • Dried cranberries
  • Finely sliced red onion
  • An extra drizzle of olive oil if needed
  • A generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar (the best is Caramelised Balsamic if you can find it, or Glazed)
  • Toss it all together and..... done!


Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar is diviiiiiine on this, but can be hard to find (and expensive). We are going to try making our own, since clever Mark dug up this simple (though time-intensive) recipe!!

Anyway, very simple, very delicious and quick apart from the roasting time (though you can prep the other ingredients in the time that takes to cook).... good with a BBQ or I can easily eat a bowl of it myself for lunch too ;)

Give it a go and ENJOY!

xx

PS I know the pic is not that pretty, I am not a food blogger, OK! It's a bit messy as I was in a rush, but it is seriously yum and I am sure you can serve it much prettier than me ;)

PPS If anything is too vague, please ask and I will try to clarify.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this out - I just bought pearl cous cous today after Jason keeps raving about it following the budget night dinner!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx