Monday 26 March 2012

Small Group, Big Questions, Bigger God...

Bible, tea and biscuits... yep, it's the Bible study basics!


For the past few months we have been hosting a weekly Bible study at our house after the cherubs are tucked into bed. A small group of us came together through various avenues and we decided to tackle some of our bigger questions about God, faith, the Bible and how it all comes together - and most importantly, what it means for our daily lives. We started by listing a bunch of the big and small questions we have about God and have committed as a group to work through them, seeking answers and building our faith. We have also been looking at some DVD's by Lee Strobel, an investigative journalist who asked a lot of tough questions about Christianity which had the surprising result of changing his heart as well as his mind.

Our backgrounds are various, from 'long time believers' to 'very new to this whole faith gig' to 'still unsure if this is right for me'. A variety of backgrounds, faiths and opinions but our desire to seek and know the truth brings us together. We may never have every single answer, but faith is like putting together a puzzle - gathering the pieces, seeing if and where they fit, putting together a picture of who God is, gauging the moment in your heart where you trust in what the picture will be.

I adore this group. They are beautiful people. I love their honesty, I love their questions, I love sharing different perspectives that show how God can change hearts and lives in so very many ways. I thank them for being unafraid to question - and pray we will never ever stop seeking and hoping. Every Monday night leaves me inspired, encouraged, amazed.

We are not Bible scholars but we are Truth Seekers. We have big questions, questions that at first glance seem unanswerable. With a little time, research, prayer, discussion and reading, we find a clearer answer out of the initial haze. My God is big enough to take our questions - I am grateful for that. We are assembling the pieces of our faith... bit by bit.

I have faith in the picture the puzzle pieces are making.

It is beautiful.

It changed my life and nourishes my soul.



They even let me take a pic!! Brave indeed :)


Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105

2 comments:

  1. that is lovely kate. that is nice that you guys can be so honest and just seek answers from The book.

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx